Why keeping these 5 products away from children will save their lives

Has anyone noticed that most cleaning products out here today have the labeling that specifies that we should keep away from children? Makes sense right? You don’t want your baby or toddler playing with or ingesting something that can be fatal. No one really talks about what will REALLY happen should these products be ingested or inhaled by our tiny humans. I did some research and what I found out shocked the crap out of me. Keep in mind that these products are products that are in our stores and retail centers.

1) Bleach

Now I know you’re thinking: “Why on earth would anyone want to inhale or ingest bleach?” Well our little people, they don’t know what it is really. The only thing they see is mommy or daddy using it, so naturally they want to use it too. Did you know that according to a 2010 study, bleach causes the most injuries in children? Bleach can cause irritation to the skin if it comes in contact with it, and should it be ingested, it can cause vomiting, damage to the internal organs, and in some extreme cases, it can cause death.

2) Glass cleaner

Who doesn’t love clean and shiny glass? I know the squirrel in me does. Glass cleaner contains ammonia which can be a lung irritant if inhaled. The CDC lists ammonia as the 2nd most likely substance to cause injury in children.

3) Toilet Bowl Cleaner

I would argue with you that the bathroom is the dirtiest room in any house. Especially mine because my toddler cannot keep her little hands from touching everything. Don’t even get me started on the toilet. (Thank goodness for two bathrooms lol). Did you know that the toilet bowl cleaner that you use to clean the toilet can contain hydrochloric acid? This can cause burns on your skin. Can you imagine what it would do to a tiny persons skin? I cringe at the thought.

4) Dishwasher detergent

No, I am not talking about the dishwashing liquid, that you use to wash dishes, I am talking more about the pods or the powder that goes in your in your dishwasher. The powder, or the pods are extremely concentrated, and can contain chlorine. Chlorine can cause respiratory distress as well as skin and eye irritation if it comes in contact with those areas.

5) Detergent Pods

Ok, so why am I even talking about this? Well, this is extremely important. Remember there was that Tide Pod Challenge where people were eating Tide Pods? I know you remember that, that craze swept across the nation. Just as soon as it started it ended. You know why? Because people were getting extremely sick, or even dying from ingesting those pods. Just like dishwashing detergent, those tiny little pods are super concentrated. They contain ethanol and hydrogen peroxide. If ingested(which these people were doing) can cause respiratory distress, as well as burns to the mouth, esophagus, and gastrointestinal tract. Makes you think twice about snacking on these right?

The point that I am trying to make is that even these common things, stuff we may use everyday to ensure the cleanliness in our homes, have extremely harsh consequences if ingested or swallowed by our little people. These things are not simple things that they can get over, some of these can prove fatal for them. Keeping these products out the reach of children are not only cautionary, but a necessity to ensure the safety of our love ones. So for the love of everyone you care about: KEEP OUT OF THE REACH OF CHILDREN!

Tagged with: